Friday, October 30, 2009

Interview with Brittany Emma Beam

Between running around the greatest cities in the world in high heels and doing photo shoots for designers such as Georgio Armani, fashion model Brittany Emma Beam lives a unique lifestyle. She started out as an aspiring model from northern Virginia who moved to the big city after high school, signed with Elite, and has now been on the cover of GQ and in Victoria's Secret. Her biggest piece of advice is to "keep true to yourself, and push through all those days where you are so tired, you can do anything you put your mind to." Read the rest of my interview below to get an inside scoop of the modeling industry!

Perrin: How did you get started in the modeling industry? Is this something that you have always wanted to do?

Brittany (Emma): Yes, and no. I mean I had the idea in my head and I knew I was tall enough but my confidence didn't grow until I was actually scouted and signed!

Perrin: What was your hometown/high school like?

Brittany (Emma): I grew up in Loudoun County. It is beautiful, part city and part country, and I went to Loudoun Valley High. It was a very large school, but I kept myself busy with athletics such as basketball, volleyball, and softball.


Perrin: Describe an average day for you when you have a photo shoot.

Brittany (Emma): I wake around 6 a.m., depending on the call-time. I take a cab or train to the location. I usually have an hour in hair and make-up, then I start shooting. The photographer tells me what he wants and the stylist is always touching your the hair and make-up -- always poking at you (laughs). This could last from 8-6, 9-5, 6-6, 8-8...I had a shoot in Paris from 6 a.m. - 9 p.m. and it was a jumping shoot! In heels! Sometimes fashion teams are crazy.

Perrin: Who has been your inspiration for modeling?

Brittany (Emma): Coco Rocha, Natasha Poly, Daria Werbowy, Alessandra Ambrosio. They are all GREAT hardworking models that have been in the business for a long time and they know and understand what it takes to be the best.

Perrin: Who is you favorite model?

Brittany (Emma): Gemma Ward

Perrin: What is your favorite spread that you have modeled for?

Brittany (Emma): Victoria's Secret and Visionaire

Perrin: What are some opportunities that have happened because of your career?

Brittany (Emma): I meet celebrities all the time, popular actresses and actors, singers. I get to travel the world.

Perrin: Who are some celebrities that you have been able to meet?

Brittany (Emma): Jude Law, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Sienna Miller, Jeremy Piven, Dr Dre, Roberto Cavalli, Georgio Armani, Karl Lagerfield, Gerard Butler, MCLOVIN! (Jonah Hill), and many more!

Perrin: Where is your favorite destination to model?

Brittany (Emma): Australia, New York or Paris. I can't decide.

Perrin: Is it hard to manage a normal life and a modeling career?

Brittany (Emma): By far, this career is very critical, and you live a lifestyle based around the fact you may leave for a different country tomorrow or you may have a castings call in five minutes half way across manhattan. You have to be ready! And always look your best, which can be difficult at times.

Perrin: What is a common misconception that you think people have about working in the modeling industry?

Brittany (Emma): Simplicity. You must be this and that and do this and this now. You have to act like this, wear this, fix that, eat this, don't eat that. Drink this but no alcohol because puffy mornings call for lost jobs. If you cant fit into sample sizes...ciao! You are moving all day long at shoots, running around new cities by yourself with a map, book and high heels.

Perrin: What are some tough obstacles that you have to face in the modeling industry?

Brittany (Emma): Well, my first time I travelled to Europe it was for fashion week. I just flew into the Bahamas for a job, then the day I got back I flew into Paris for the hectic schedule of fashion week. I had to learn to run around Paris to specific addresses, in French mind you (laughs). My bookers were French. I went to the agency straight from the plane and walked out into castings. I had around 15-20 places I had to be in one day and prioritize through different times that I had to be at these castings before they ended. I'm exhausted thinking about it. This happened in London, Milan and New York. But hey, I got to walk for Georgio Armani! So in the end I can say everything was worth it. He was nice by the way.

Perrin: At what moment did you realize that you were a major name in the modeling industry?

Brittany (Emma): (Laughs) I wouldn't consider myself a huge name in modeling. But the key word here is YET!

Perrin: Do you want to model for as long as you can or are you using this as a gateway to another career (acting, singing, etc.)?

Brittany (Emma): I did plan on having a career in college softball. But I got ill and tore my ACL. So I walked down the streets of New York finding myself signed with a top agency! Basically life will change for me down the road, I just don't know where yet.

Perrin: What advice would you give an aspiring model?

Brittany (Emma): Mentally prepare yourself because it's all about your frame of mind. People are constantly judging you, pushing you to be a person you aren't on the outside. But if you keep true to yourself, and push through all those days where you are so tired, you can do anything you put your mind to. Although there are requirements, and exercise is one of them (laughs).

Perrin: Who do you consider the standouts in the modeling industry?

Brittany (Emma): Coco rocha, Freja Beha, Adriana Lima, Anja Rubik, Natasha Poly, Natalia V. There are so many amazing girls that are smart and very business oriented.

Perrin: If you could be on the cover of one magazine, what would it be?

Brittany (Emma): Italian, Us Vogue and V mag.

Perrin: What is your favorite part of your job?

Brittany (Emma): Meeting new and interesting people and seeing the pictures after waiting months for publishment.

Perrin: How do you decide what to wear for each show? Who does your makeup? How long does the preparation usually take for a shoot?

Brittany (Emma): (laughs) No way do I decide anything. They decide what make-up I wear. There are many different teams that come together for hair and make-up and nails. For instance, they have MAC groups and different hair company groups that get paid to put a group together for the shows. Preperation can be around two hours at most.


Perrin: Do you prefer the runway or a photo shoot and why?

Brittany (Emma): I cant choose!

Perrin: What is the toughest part about both?

Brittany (Emma): Running around to casting calls for fashion week, and keeping in top shape. Photoshoots are long and work is all day. You stay standing posing for that perfect picture- modeling is just acting in still life. They give you a story and you try and show a different vibe for each spread.


Perrin: Are you able to spend a decent amount of time with your family?

Brittany (Emma): During the holidays!


Perrin: Where do you like to vacation?

Brittany (Emma): I dont really vacation, but my favorite work place that I stayed was the Bahamas, Coastal Mexico. When I get home from the job, if the sun is still out, relaxation time!

Perrin: What do you like to do in your free time?

Brittany (Emma): DJ Hero! It is the best game in the world (laughs). But I also LOVE to do crosswords and watch entourage (best show ever). Oh and I exercise when I need to -- like every day for an hour or more.


See more of Brittany Emma Beam at: http://nymag.com/fashion/models/ebeam/emmabeam/

No comments:

Post a Comment